cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The next shiny thing?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 16:00:38 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

<snip/>
> Start a whiteboard prototype if you feel like it, but to me it seem
> quite risky to try to rewrite everything from scratch, although I have
> felt the urge myself countless time while struggling with the messy
> internals. But before you go ahead and rewrite everything from
> scratch, take some minutes and read why Joel Spolesky thinks that
> rewriting software from scratch is the:
>
>  *single worst strategic mistake* that any software company can make
>
> http://www.joelonsoftware.com/articles/fog0000000069.html.

Although I most often find Joel Spolsky's writings very enlightning, I
always disagreed with that one. And to understand why, consider what is
your main browser and what mail software you used to write this. The
headers say "User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (Windows/20041206)".

<snip/>

> Leaving our core offering and rewriting everything from scratch means
> community and product suicide, don't do it.

To last for a long time, a company/community has to make sure it has
some customers/users. The new features in 2.2, if you look at them are
more about managing complexity than bringing real new stuff. Is it
something that will bring lots of new users? I don't think so.

So although we have to maintain the current code base, we also have to
think about what should be our next offering.

Sylvain