cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] The next shiny thing?
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 15:57:06 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> To last for a long time, a company/community has to make sure it has
> some customers/users. The new features in 2.2, if you look at them are
> more about managing complexity than bringing real new stuff. Is it
> something that will bring lots of new users? I don't think so.

I'm not sure - we already have so many features that are hard to use. If
all of this would be more easily usable, I think this would bring us new
users. Just "throwing in new features" will imho not attract new users
*if* everything remains as complicated as it is right now.

> So although we have to maintain the current code base, we also have to
> think about what should be our next offering.

Yepp. So how do we proceed from here? We have an unfinished 2.2 and are
talking about 3.0. Now, I always thought of 2.2 as a milestone to 3.0
(or to real blocks). In fact, I think 2.2 makes many things much more
easier: the configuration is easier, updating Cocoon is easier, we
hopefully have a good way for build/deployment, per sitemap
configurations, classloading etc. All of this helps *a lot*.

So, imho, we should really get 2.2 out of the door - while discussing a
possible 3.0. As far as I remember, Cocoon 2.0 was designed/discussed
first and then implemented. A vision (roadmap) existed and I think we
should build up our vision of 3.0 first before quickly adding something
which will only bring some relief in the short term.

Carsten
http://www.s-und-n.de
http://www.osoco.org/weblogs/rael/