cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT][long] Cocoon 3.0: the necessary mutation
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:35:00 GMT
Luca Morandini wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>> When we introduced flowscript, we decided that <map:pipeline> should
>> be the central switchboard through which *all* request go,
> <cut/>
>> - the processing flow in a sitemap goes *first* in the controller if
>> there is one, and *second* in the view. Going to a <map:pipeline> to
>> call back a function should really be an exceptional case, or even
>> forbidden.
>
> Hmm... my favorite selling proposition about Cocoon is "look no
> further than the sitemap to know which component answers an URI", and
> this dynamic pipeline concept would shatter this.
>
> Generally speaking, in the procedural vs. declarative debate I drifts
> towards the latter. For example, I see the advantages in using
> something like Spring Web Flow, not the least of them being the easy
> development of tools (AndroMDA maybe ?).

If you can roundtrip between a model and a procedural language, then
tooling is not a problem. I've been using this approach for 10 years
starting in 1990 with a pre-OO design method used in the space
industry[1]. We had a tool that was generating Ada or C code from
graphical models, containing special markers around code sections that
could be changed directly in the code.

We wrote hundreds of thousands lines of code using this technique
without ever using a declarative language interpreter. Just plain Ada
and C. And this without ever loosing our ability to change the program's
structure using graphical tools.

Sylvain

[1] http://www.estec.esa.nl/wmwww/WME/oot/hood/