cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT][long] Cocoon 3.0: the necessary mutation
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 10:09:52 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:

<snip/>

> Now while I agree with a lot of what you are saying I'm not really
> sure it completely addresses all the issues. For example, while
> allowing folks to use any container they want might be a good thing it
> can also make it more difficult if that just becomes one more thing
> they have to learn about.  Frankly, I'd just say to heck with it and
> use Spring.

The main point is to have container-independent code as much as
possible. Providing multiple container integration may not be a goal per
se, but should not be made impossible. The main point is that the
pipeline API should be embeddable in other environments.

> At this point I don't think we have to worry about radical changes or
> the community dying.  Of course, it then makes more sense to leverage
> Spring WebFlow as I have in mind.  And since Spring is such a popular
> framework it makes it much more palatable for manager types -
> especially those who think EJBs suck and Spring/Hibernate is the answer.
>
> By the way - I'm not interested in Cocoon being sexy. I'm interested
> in seeing its adoption rate increase, which is a very different thing.

You misunderstood what I said (or I used the wrong word). By "sexy" I
mean appealing for users, because it makes things easy and fun. If that
goal is achieved, adoption rate should increase. Being appealing for
managers is a different thing as this more mean being either buzzword
compliant or standards (at least defacto ones) compliant.

> As to your sitemap changes, I think what you have in mind is right
> on.  It wouldn't bother me if in 3.0 we have only javaflow and
> flowscript for those who want to "roll their own" and webflow for
> those who prefer a stateful flow.
>
> As for your comments on Ajax, I don't know if you read it but you
> should take a look at this entry from Carsten's blog
> http://www.osoco.org/archives/2005/10/index.html.

Honestly, I think Ajax will radically change how we consider portals,
not only technically in the way they are implemented, but by the
relation users will have with the portal. Just have a look at
http://www.google.com/ig to see what I mean.

Sylvain