cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Resource comparison between Cocoon and Struts/JSP??
Date Sun, 04 Dec 2005 23:25:38 GMT
Peter Hunsberger wrote:
> Matthew Langham wrote:
> >
> > We have a customer looking to build an architecture around Open Source
> > frameworks. He has asked us about the differences in needed resources (CPU,
> > Memory) when writing an application using Cocoon as compared to a Struts/JSP
> > solution. While I realize the answer is probably "that depends", there are
> > certain customers who just aren't interested in that type of answer :-(. And
> > this customer actually has to pay internal charges depending on the amount
> > of memory and CPU needed.
> >
> > So maybe someone out there has actually done this type of comparison or can
> > point me to something?
>
> Can't help directly, but be sure to point out that they should also
> factor in development and maintenance costs to get the total picture.
>
> Note that if you end up doing the testing yourself Cocoon will could
> loose unless you exploit caching.

We (cocoon-dev) should already know some of these
answers, at least at a basic level.

We now have cocoon.zones.apache.org where we run
our own Cocoon. We should have some "benchmark"
applications there, with a well-configured cache.
That should enable us to have actual values.

Of course it does depend on the actual application.

Another resource that we could develop would be
a set of documents which describe some different
application scenarios. Then ask the Cocoon community
to indicate the resources that they think these
applications would require. Document the average.

I wonder if some company should engage a few Cocoon
developers to initiate this framework, doing it as
part of the Apache Cocoon project.

-David