cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <>
Subject Re: Cocoon 2.1.7 hang
Date Thu, 22 Dec 2005 23:56:57 GMT
On 22 Dec 2005, at 18:16, Ralph Goers wrote:

> We finally got some thread dumps from our production server.   It
> shows something very different than what we were seeing in testing.
> First, this happens under light load after running for days.  To
> summarize, many threads are waiting for the ResourceLimitingPool
> and several are waiting for the class loader. This system hasn't
> had the pools tuned so I'm not surprised about pool contention, but
> I don't believe that is the issue. That is because the thread
> holding the lock is simply waiting for the class loader.
> We took two traces and both were similar, but not identical.
> Different threads were holding the class loader lock in both.
> However, in both cases the threads holding the class loader lock
> were called from Castor while creating the portal layout.
> So far, we have been speculating that the problem is due to a
> problem with the NPTL threads on Enterprise Linux 3.  However, I'm
> wondering if perhaps castor is  having problems and simply calling
> the class loader over and over.
> I'd appreciate any ideas.

Ok, as far as I can see down the dumps you might have some problems
with Catalina's classloader implementation locking up at 0x60b19148:

    at org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader.loadClass

That seems odd though... I thought that code was debugged pretty
thoroughly, unless, a seconday lock at 0x60cd9970 prevents the first
one to be released...

Anyhow, from my experience, NPTL don't cause any whatsoever problem
under Linux, but that said, I'm running on Jetty 4 with BEA JRockit
1.4.2. What VM and what container are you actually using?

View raw message