cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Planning 2.2
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 12:23:58 GMT

Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> The question is if we are going to start to have separate release cycles
> of the blocks with 2.2. In that case the important part is a cocoon-core
> 2.2 release. Then we should preferably have releases of CForms,
> Template, Portal and some other important blocks that are compatible
> with the cocoon-core 2.2. But all blocks need not to have stable
> releases some of them can be milestone releases or even "alpha".
>
> IMO we should go for separate release cycles for 2.2. Then the we should
> release "2.2" when the core is stable enough, and consider whether the
> blocks are stable enough, a separate concern.

+1, separate release cycles for more and quicker releases.

We could start this process incrementally today by just deploying
snapshots of the 2.2 core jar. No huge announcements or anything, just
get it out there for the bleeding-edgers and to test the release
process. Once we feel comfortable we can do the same for a few blocks.
To avoid the deployment issue, we can opt to just distribute the jars
and assume the bleeding-edgers being clever enough to add the block
configuration themselves from the docs.

In parallel we can maintain a core 2.2 archetype that sets up a working
webapp structure for the 2.2 core (and perhaps some samples to
demonstrate). This should satisfy the "curious-but-not-bleeding-edge"
people in their eagerness to explore the new and noteworthy in 2.2 core.

How does that sound?

Jorg