cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ezkovich Glen <g...@hard-bop.com>
Subject Re: Planning 2.2
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 02:57:38 GMT

On Nov 22, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>> Ezkovich Glen wrote:

>>> This is what I thought. I was in effect questioning wether these
>>> new  features are ready to go. My concern is the documentation
>>> for these  new changes and features. An admittedly quick perusal
>>> of SVN didn't  reveal much at all. Even a M1 release requires a
>>> bit of documentation  so that the changes and new things get tested.
>> First it is an M1 so it is not like that everything have to be
>> completely finished and polished. Second it is a little bit of a
>> chicken and egg problem, as long as we don't start to release the
>> new features, they will feel like a moving target that not is
>> worthwhile to use and document yet.

Ahhhh, where software with market share differs from software without
and why cocoon's documentation needs so much work. Documentation is
an integral part of a release. It should be developed along side the
source code not months after the release.

>> And as long as no one use it and document it we who develop the
>> new stuff doesn't have any presure to stabilize it and stop
>> changing the interfaces.
>> By releasing an M1 we focus the community on 2.2 and hopefully
>> make the things you asking for, happen.
>> Also, while some of the above improvements still are experimental
>> (blocks, virtual sitemap components ...), much of it isn't. ECM++,
>> reloading classloader, refactored JXTemplate, ... really
>> simplifies use of Cocoon, so we should make it available for a
>> larger audience ASAP.
>
> Exactly.

I agree. But if you release today, then no one except those that have
touched those things or followed the developer list will know what
those features are much less how to use them.

Point me in the right direction, give me a tentative release date and
I will write up some documentation. Best offer I can give you today.

Glen Ezkovich
HardBop Consulting
glen at hard-bop.com

A Proverb for Paranoids: