cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Jörg Heinicke" <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r330598 - /cocoon/blocks/forms/trunk/java/org/apache/cocoon/forms/generation/
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 08:51:57 GMT
> On Thu, 10 Nov 2005, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>>> The widgets in the repeater rows need to be displayed wrt some
>>> properties of a single object (let's say its a 'state of completness').
>>> Now from MVC POV it's the viewer (template) that knows how to display
>>> the properties of the business model and thus needs a way to instruct
>>> the technology used (CForm) to respect that.
>> Sorry, but I absolutely don't follow you here. MVC is for decoupling
>> model, view and controller, i.e. to have as few as possible dependencies
>> between the three aspects. There are three you need: the controller
>> changing the model, the controller selecting the view and the view
>> accessing the properties of the model. But the latter one must be a
>> read-only process, otherwise the view does not only depend on the model,
>> but also the model on the view, as the view would not be
>> interchangeable.
> I thought I've said eactly this: The View knows how to display the
> Model (where do you read in my mail that the View changes the Model?)

You didn't write that directly. I guess the difference is just if "editable
or not" is a property of the model or the view.

>> In your sample a property of the model (viewable or not, editable or
>> not) shall be changed by the view, what is plain wrong IMO. It is the
>> task of the  controller to take care of it.

That (editable = property of the model) is what I wanted to express with
this paragraph.

Highspeed-Freiheit. Bei GMX supergünstig, z.B. GMX DSL_Cityflat,
DSL-Flatrate für nur 4,99 Euro/Monat*

View raw message