cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <geoff.how...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: event aware object cache?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:04:23 GMT
On 11/21/05, Max Pfingsthorn <m.pfingsthorn@hippo.nl> wrote:
> Hi Cocooners!
>
> I have a question: I couldn't find a nice EventAware object cache in Cocoon, the eventcache
block only implements the o.a.c.caching.Cache which I need to pass a byte array. Serializing/deserializing
is not really an option for me.
> What I would like is a (not necessarily persistent) EventAware cache for objects used
for form my responses of a generator. I could imagine that this sort of cache might be useful
for others as well. If so, and it is not implemented yet, I would like to go ahead and do
so.

> WDYT? Does anyone have any pointers for me?

Hmm, it's been a while since I've looked at this and the code base WRT
the Cache/Store code has changed since in a way I didn't keep fully
abreast of.  The original intention of the EventAware code was to do
exactly what you wanted.  IIRC the Cache used to have a transient
front-end backed by a persistent backend transparently.  Since then
the terminology and code was changed I think to have Stores be
transient and Cache persistent.

For your need, it may only be necessary to factor the relevant code
out of the Cache to a more generic place where both Store and Cache
can take advantage of it.

I can't give it a lot of time at the moment, but do want to help make
sure this is generally useful.  Can you provide some more details of
the problem as it exists now to help me get up to speed quickly?

Thanks,
Geoff