cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 Documentation
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2005 19:39:17 GMT
Bruno Dumon wrote:
> Are you sure this is unnecessary? The current setup shares the same
> documents in the new docs and the legacy docs. Thus when the new docs
> are updated, refactored, retired etc, this influences the legacy docs
> too. This was fine as long as the legacy docs served exactly for this
> purpose, but now the legacy docs have turned into the official 2.1.8
> documentation. If we don't make a branch for 2.1.8, there's no way the
> 2.1.x docs can still be produced and maintained in the future.

Hmm. Currently there is so much "crap" (i.e. outdated documents or
documents describing ideas rather than real implementations) among the
documentation in the legacydocs collection, that I'm all for retiring
documents in that collection or slightly modifying the ones that are
still mostly valid.
That would improve the 2.1.8 documentation as well as the 2.2 documentation.

OTOH you're right that over time, the documentation of the 2.1 branche
would change too, which is unwanted.

My suggestion is a temporary solution, a kind of transition phase when
2.1.X is becoming "obsolete" and 2.2 is taking over. Once the
"official" 2.2 is released, we should create a branch to ensure that
2.1.X is "frozen". At that time, we might also decide that there will be
no more changes in the 2.1.X documentation at which point they will be
removed from Daisy entirely and the only copy resides in the SVN repository.

Bye, Helma