cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Planning 2.2
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:05:52 GMT
Ezkovich Glen wrote:

> On Nov 22, 2005, at 1:18 AM, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>> Glen Ezkovich wrote:

>>> I'm a bit confused, is this the only difference between 2.1 and
>>> 2.2  or are the other changes complete and ready to roll? These
>>> changes  amount to a refactoring. What distinguishes 2.2 from 2.1.8?
>>
>> not at all :-)
>>
>> - ECM++
>> - Virtual sitemap components
>> - blocks (sitemap blocks, exposing blocks)
>> - per sitemap reloading classloader (for dev)
>> - reworked property management
>> - Spring integration (Spring block)
>> - possible to listen to sitemap events
>> - refactoring of Javaflow (uses now the commons-javaflow project which
>>   was started by Thorsten)
>> - introduction of CTemplate (refactoring of JXTemplate in 2.1.x)
>>
>> ... and maybe some other things
>

> This is what I thought. I was in effect questioning wether these new
> features are ready to go. My concern is the documentation for these
> new changes and features. An admittedly quick perusal of SVN didn't
> reveal much at all. Even a M1 release requires a bit of documentation
> so that the changes and new things get tested.

First it is an M1 so it is not like that everything have to be
completely finished and polished. Second it is a little bit of a chicken
and egg problem, as long as we don't start to release the new features,
they will feel like a moving target that not is worthwhile to use and
document yet. And as long as no one use it and document it we who
develop the new stuff doesn't have any presure to stabilize it and stop
changing the interfaces.

By releasing an M1 we focus the community on 2.2 and hopefully make the
things you asking for, happen.

Also, while some of the above improvements still are experimental
(blocks, virtual sitemap components ...), much of it isn't. ECM++,
reloading classloader, refactored JXTemplate, ... really simplifies use
of Cocoon, so we should make it available for a larger audience ASAP.

/Daniel