cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [RT] A Cocoon installer with IzPack
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 15:56:08 GMT
On 20.11.2005 16:13, Upayavira wrote:

>>>Could it handle the dependency resolution bit? That's the callenging bit.
>>
>>We should keep installation and deployment separate.
>>
>>I have nothing against tools that unpack and install core cocoon into a
>>specified dir, maybe even add desktop shortcuts for starting/stopping
>>etc. Deployment however should be handled in a different tool, separate
>>from the installer.
>>
>>I expect maven to handle most of the tricky stuff like the dependency
>>resolution, we should just hand it a pom and off it goes.

Same here.

> It depends which version you are talking about 2.1 or 2.2. If we're
> talking 2.2, then yes, Maven will do a lot of it.

2.2 of course. Nobody wants to maintain Maven stuff additionally for 2.1
I guess.

> If we're talking 2.1
> then no, Maven won't do any. In fact, we already have some code in the
> whiteboard that can do the necessary dependency resolution with 2.1
> blocks (see http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/whiteboard/guilder).
>
> With 2.1, the installer would need to do dependency resolution and a
> build - without this, it would be hardly worth having.

Do you really want to add such an additional feature to 2.1 branch? If
we already have one (like Ugo's Guilder) we shall go with that one. But
I would not add anything new like an installer based on IzPack.

Jörg