cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ajax libraries: let's wait a bit
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 10:06:46 GMT
Andreas Hochsteger wrote:
> Hi Sylvain and other AJAX gurus ;-)
>
> I wonder, if you heard of Taconite [1] which seems to have released
> 1.0 recently?
> It is licensed under the Apache License, but I don't know, if it does
> what we need.

It merely handles posting a form and inserting Ajax resquest results
into the page. And it does that in a very strange way: to import the
Ajax result in the page document, it dynamically builds some JavaScript
code that recreate the element hierarchy. Why don't they simply use
regular DOM calls as we do in CForms, I don't know.

> Additionally to the list of AJAX libraries already posted [2] I found
> an other one in [3].
> But unfortunately Taconite isn't mentioned in both lists.

The current problem is that every day a new Ajax framework is announced,
and most often, it's a dozen lines of JavaScript which defines yet
another wrapper around XmlHttpRequest.

If we choose to use an external library, this should be something
serious that brings more than that, and is not a one man show that will
be dead tomorrow.

The framework that currently satisfies these constraints is the Dojo
toolkit. It is packed with impressive features, is developped by a
community that functions very much like Apache and has an
Apache-compatible licence.

Sylvain