cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Naming rule for HTML IDs generated by CForms
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2005 22:05:59 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> Oh please, go read the threads.
>>
>> We cannot forbid "-" in widget names, as it's used in too much
>> occasions.
>>
> Sigh, how do you know that people are not using ':' in their widget ids?
> Which is starting with 2.1.8 not allowed any more...so as we don't have
> problems with not allowing the ':' character in ids, I don't see a
> reason why we should handle the '-' differently?

The library stuff effectively forbids the ':' and none of our samples
uses this character in widget names.

On the contrary, some of our samples do use '-' in widget names, and I
guess this inspired many applications out there. At least mine.

> Anyways, this whole id thing is really a pita and suggestions like a
> double period or trailing period are absolutely not userfriendly. It
> doesn't matter how often you have to use them.
>
> So, for clearness, I would go for a different solution but as this vote
> is only about the four suggestions my vote is:

I agree that it's a pita, but we need a rule.

> [X] "foo.bar._input" (underscore, requires to forbid it as the beginning
> of widget names)

Ok. I predict some conflicts when we'll do some automatic generation of
form definitions with this choice though.

Sylvain