cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r330329 - in /cocoon/blocks/portal/trunk/java/org/apache/cocoon/portal: coplet/ layout/ layout/renderer/aspect/impl/ layout/renderer/impl/ persistence/castor/
Date Thu, 03 Nov 2005 06:37:51 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>Ralph Goers wrote:
>

>>So, you decided to do this.
>>

>Yes :)
>

>>Do you have a plan to keep it from killing
>>performance?
>>

>Yepp, the information will be stored as a temporary attribute on a
>layout. FOr example for full-screen, the full-screen coplet layout is
>stored as an attribute on the root layout. For max-paged, the max-paged
>coplet layout is stored as an attribute at the tab layout (assuming the
>tab layout is static) and so on. I'll try to implement this in the next
>days.

And what about the case that I added support for - full screen with all
the navigation still present? Or is that what you are calling max-paged
(I get realy confused by this since the default 2.1 behavior is
min/normal/full-screen-no-nav)?  Frankly, the static layout thing sounds
like it could get to be quite a pain. I really don't want to have to add
an attribute on every single tab to say it should always be shown. In
all the sites we will be delivering we will always want all the
navigation available.

On a separate topic, it occurred to me that there is a problem with
saving the layout.  We will be dynamically generating layouts from a
bunch of pieces. A user may or may not have a portlet on a page or they
might not have a page.  This will work fine, but if portlet preferences
are modified the whole layout gets written, not just the part specific
to the portlet.  That would mean the user's layout could then no longer
be dynamically generated.

Ralph