cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: a new cocoon logo?
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 10:26:49 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Jeroen Reijn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Frédéric,
>>>
>>> looks nice! Beside the cocoon logo, I personally would like to see
>>> that the cocoon website gets a redesign. Especially if we want make
>>> the buzz.
>>

>> I agree that the Cocoon website needs a redesign. However, a redesign
>> with the same old content doesn't really makes sense and could do more
>> harm than good. But with the cool new documentation that is coming, we
>> definitely have to change the skin of our website to clearly show
>> people that something new is there.
>>
>> About the logo, however, I really prefer the current one, which is way
>> more readable and is also well-known.
>

> Some of the Forrest team have been working on a superb new skinning
> system. It is much easier to customise than the old one. It is also
> possible to change the skin at any level of granularity (e.g. per site,
> per directory, per document type, per page). For example, you could have
> a different look and feel for the user sections and the dev sections.
>
> The system uses CSS for the visual presentation and a "structurer" that
> defines what is included in the page, e.g. navigation sections, news
> feeds, theme switchers,
>
> It's been working for quite some time and is just nearing its second
> redesign. However, it *is* part of the 0.8-dev cycle so is not
> completely stable yet.
>
> There is only one new skin using this system at present, if anyone wants
> to have a bash at it I could create a version of the forrestbot that
> builds the Cocoon site with views (we have duplicated the existing
> Forrest skins as well).
>
> The other option for a new skin would be to use Daisy's own skinning
> system and drop Forrest altogether (you'd use wget to publish the site).
> I don't use that approach myself because although the Daisy skinning
> system is improving it is still to cumbersome to work with for many
> people requires XSL, and CSS skills, together with a knowledge of
> Daisy's document structure. However, that may not be a concern here
> since all Cocoon users are comfortable wth XML/XSL (and CSS?)
>
> Another problem with Daisy is that people wishing to develop a skin for
> it will have to install it locally and create some sample documents to
> work with. This is also true of Forrest, but the process is much easier
> since t is a simple binaray download.

Personally, I'm not that fussed what produces the skin. Skins aren't
changed that often compared to content, and us lot are good at XSL
anyway. What matters is that we show a modern skin to punters. In some
cases, we may have less than 2 seconds in which to attract someone to
Cocoon, and the look of the skin is going to be crucial to that.

As is the wording on the homepage.

Regards, Upayavira