cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DOCS] Building for release - update
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2005 00:05:52 GMT
Ross Gardler wrote:
> hepabolu wrote:
> >I now also realise what happened and what the rationale was behind the
> >way it is currently set up in Daisy:
> >
> >the main menu bar suggests that there are sub sections: About,
> >Documentation, Community etc. I wanted to keep that division so I
> >created the "folders" About, Documentation, Community etc. I focused
> >more on the appearance of the menu on the left than on the urls. When
> >there was a discrepancy, I choose the menu above the url.

One of Cocoon's features is that it disconnects the
URL-space from the filesystem and enables changes
to not affect the URLs. To break that would make us
look foolish.

> >So, I can either remove the "headers" like About and Documentation and
> >they have to be added in the daisy-to-forrest conversion, or we have to
> >settle for a slightly adjusted url space.

If they are truly only minor changes, then we
could use Apache httpd .htaccess redirects.

Or we follow the previous plan, which ensures that we
don't mangle the URL-space.
cocoon.apache.org/1.x/
cocoon.apache.org/2.0/
cocoon.apache.org/2.1/
cocoon.apache.org/2.2/
cocoon.apache.org/ ... top-level as a separate set of documents
that are not specific to any particular release, e.g. livesites.

> If someone else can handle the Daisy end of things I can handle to
> Forrest end, but probably not until Friday as most of tomorrow (GMT) is
> a travelling day. If anyone wants to handle the Forrest end beofore
> then, the above examples should be enough, if not David and/or the
> Forrest user list will help out I am sure.

Hmmm, i have already recommended many times that we
should not attempt this until the 2.2 release. At that
time we can rearrange its /2.2/ URL-space.
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=113150487903479

I have also said that i have other commitments, so don't
rely on me. Of course i will try to answer questions.

We should not be holding up the release any longer.
There is a workaround, so lets do it.

-David