cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Documentation] clarifications about docs
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 01:45:39 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
> > hepabolu wrote:
> > >just to get the confusion level down I'd like to verify that my ideas
> > >about the current docs are complete and correct.
> >
> > Good idea, I've been a little confused by the need for continuing the
> > cocoon-site build. Here's what I think I understand...
>
> The Cocoon docs are basically in two sections:
>
> 1) The top-level docs, i.e. the "Home" tab at
> cocoon.apache.org (and the "Fr" tab).
>
> 2) The docs for each version, i.e. 2.1
>
> All the *generated* docs are stored in
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site/site
> and that is made live on the server by doing
> svn checkout of that section of the repository.
>
> The sources and forrest config for the top-level
> website are at http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/site
>
> There is some scanty documentation at
> http://wiki.apache.org/cocoon/CocoonWebsiteUpdate

Ah, i am beginning to understand what people are doing
with the most recent documentation effort.

Some time ago we had separated the top-level stuff from the
branch-specific stuff to ease its management, as i described
above. It seems like that has been merged again.

Sorry for confusing things by continuing to build the old stuff.
I had looked that the forrestbot build and assumed that the
empty space at http://forrest.zones.apache.org/ft/build/cocoon-docs/
was waiting for the generation of the top-level docs
to fill the void.

I see two main problems with this merge.

The "Fr" tab and docs will go away, and it seems that some
other docs have been removed. At a glance i see that the
"Committer tips" and "Developer Infos" are missing.

I see a bigger problem with the URL space.
This puts the top-level docs inside the /2.1/ directory.
Perhaps the mapping from Daisy IDs needs to put only the docs
that are under the "Documentation" label in the left-menu,
into the /2.1/ directory.

-David