cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [M10N] new pom structure
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 07:46:06 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>src/blocks/
>>       pom.xml  --> contains all block modules
>>       /forms
>>           pom.xml  --> modules for this block + all lib dependencies
>>           /trunk
>>               pom.xml  --> implementation, depends on ../pom.xml
>>               /samples
>>                     pom.xml  --> sample related stuff, depends on impl
>>               /test
>>

>>Once we've finalized the pom and block directory structure i'll convert
>>the rest of the blocks, no point in doing every step for all 60 blocks.
>>

> Hmm, shouldn't "/forms/pom.xml" also be versioned? It might be that a
> branch has different modules than trunk, I think.

It's not a problem to do this if I can move directories around, so
effectively having
   /forms
        /trunk
            pom.xml -> modules for this block + all lib dependencies
            /impl   -> contents of current java and WEB-INF
                pom.xml
            /samples -> stays
                pom.xml
            /test

> I'm all for a unified directory layout where possible. I can imagine
> some blocks will not fit into this. For example the portal block will

What about the Maven Standard Directory Layout(tm), shown at [1] ? I've
been using it for a long time now, maven works better with it in the
sense that you don't have to always override settings in the pom with
alternative locations.

> consist of several modules (core, portlet support, wsrp support, castor
> support, db support and so on), and perhaps several samples. But I think
> with m2 and the hierarchy of poms this doesn't really matter.

Supporting several modules in a block, so "mini-blocks" inside the big
block is not a problem, you could just put another module pom in between
and layout the module as described in [1].

Jorg

[1]
http://maven.apache.org/maven2/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html