cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: Roadmap for Cocoon Blocks
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 12:24:14 GMT

Ralph Goers wrote:

> I hadn't thought of this before, but I suppose this means that end user
> applications using Cocoon will need to be built with Maven 2?

I'ld say they can but don't have to.

We will distribute the 2.2 core and block releases via the m2
repository, so m2 based projects can easily upgrade this way. The full
binary build will still contain "everything" in one package, this can be
used to build your app in any other way you like.
Now we might provide a recommended way of building and structuring
cocoon applications using m2 archetypes and our own plugins, but it will
only be a recommendation and not a requirement.

3.0 is a different beast alltogether. Likely we will need an m2 plugin
that can compile one block against other blocks using osgi dependency
rules (ie using the manifest information). The same goes for dependency
resolution, as it needs to be made osgi aware (right Daniel?).
So unless he knows a lot about osgi, a block developer will have to use
our m2 deployment framework to target 3.0.

Or am I seeing this m2-osgi build and deploy time integration too
complicated for what it really is ?

Jorg