cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David <cocoon-n...@max-imp.com>
Subject Re: multiple xpaths
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 23:40:02 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> David wrote:
>
>> I am writing a cocoon transformer and need to know when any of
>> multiple xpaths match. I'm sure there must be a be a more efficient
>> way then converting it to a DOM document and then running each xpath
>> to get the nodelist of each.
>>
>> What is the best way to do this?
>

> The problem with XPath is that it's intrinsically tied to the DOM
> hierarchical model. So you need to have a DOM ready to query the
> document with XPath.
>
> You may want to have a look at STX [1], which uses a subset of XPath
> that is suited to streamed processing.
>
> Sylvain
>
> [1] http://stx.sourceforge.net/

I was looking at STX too but couldn't find a way to use it from Java.
Anyone know how you use it without making an stx file?

I understand the issue with xpaths and needing DOM. I know xalan has its
Document Table Model (DTM) that improves on performance. Anyone know if
we can tap into that without writting a XSL file?

David