cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 17:31:04 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>>
>>> I would (and actually do) use Mappy (http://www.mappy.com/), which
>>> has provided for ages a flash-based GUI that receives vector data
>>> from the server, and which is snappier than GMaps. Bitmaps suck when
>>> it comes to GIS!
>>
>> Up to a point, Sylvian...
>
> Sylv*ai*n please :-)

Sorry, I mistook you for the former Japan member [1] ;)

>> if you're talking about detailed maps, not just tourist ones, the
>> rendering on the client is out of the question.
>
> Ah, ok. But then I guess you need a lot of bandwidth anyway!

My guess is different, even a 9.000 polygons maps is not such a load
when processed on the server. Vector graphics is efficent form same maps
and in-efficient for others, the same for bitmaps: there is no
one-size-fits-all.

Regards,

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Sylvian

    Luca Morandini