cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 14:18:49 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:

> I'm also thinking about archetypes for popular framework combos, like
> CForms/hibernate, Cocoon/Spring, and often used block combos like
> portal/, fop/svg and ofcourse asciiart/midi ;)

Hmm... I was thinking more in terms of user-visible functionalities
rather than in terms of underlying technologies.

Look, if one is going to use Spring, he won't be impressed by a canned
app; on the contrary, such a canned app will make a splash on the
average guy just thinking "hmm... how could I publish that report in PDF
and WML and HTML and Excel ?".

Just imagine a wizard-like thing that guides you through the following:
1) Choose the page name.
2) Choose a view or table from your database of choice.
3) Choose the formats you'd like to include.
4) VoilĂ , The scaffold is generated !
5) Enter the page URI and the report showing the database view/table
appears: in PDF when the URI ends with .pdf, in Excel if the URI ends
with .xls, etc.

Not exactly exciting if someone knows Cocoon... but we're not preaching
to the chorus here, are we ? ;)

Regards,

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it