cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jorg Heymans ...@domek.be>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2005 11:09:37 GMT

Luca Morandini wrote:

> Consider: 1) Declining cocoon-users activity.
This worries me as well, especially the last couple of months it has
become very obvious [1].

"Why?" you might ask:
Is the framework stable? Have most issues been solved/answered already?
Does everything Just Work(tm) and we only have happy users? Or are
people silently jumping ship?

> 2) Reduced attendance (so far) to GetTogether (and it shouldn't be,
> since Amsterdam is a more accessible, if less fascinating, location).

possibly an artifact of 1) yes. It's strange enough to say the least.
Maybe the topics weren't interesting enough for normal joe-user?

> 3) Struts being more and more popular.

often discussed here, very true - as much as we hate (to admit) it

> My 0.02 EUR: I think Cocoon will remain a "niche" framework, used for
> complex applications and/or by gifted developers.

Yup, and that's exactly the niche we need to get out of.

<marketing type="idea">
Lets do a video like Rails [2], a picture says more than a thousand
words, a video more than a thousand pictures! WDOT? Can something like
this put us to shame or work in our advantage?
</marketing>

Jorg

[1] http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.text.xml.cocoon.user
[2] http://www.rubyonrails.com/media/video/rails_take2_with_sound.mov