cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <luca.morandi...@tin.it>
Subject Re: [RT] Is Cocoon Obsolete?
Date Sun, 02 Oct 2005 13:43:43 GMT
Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:

> Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> if we succeed in attracting a large user base,
>>
>> Are we ?
>>
>> Consider:
>> 1) Declining cocoon-users activity.
>> 2) Reduced attendance (so far) to GetTogether (and it shouldn't be,
>> since Amsterdam is a more accessible, if less fascinating, location).
>> 3) Struts being more and more popular.
>
> It might be as you imply, the question is where we want to go.

I agree. But, if a small team isn't winning it is losing... and I sense
a loss of momentum since last year: why this is happening ?

1) Cocoon is not mature enough for making it self-sustaining.
2) Cocoon has become "old hat" for the early-adopters and they moved on
to other, more exciting, things.
3) Both of the above, with Cocoon between the anvil and the hammer,
failing to become as popular as, say, Struts and as exciting as Ruby on
Rails (or whatever).

Hence the dilemma: making it more mature or sexier ?

>> My 0.02 EUR: I think Cocoon will remain a "niche" framework, used for
>> complex applications and/or by gifted developers.
>
> Maybe, but I think we can increase the number of users by making ocoon
> less complex [...]

That's why I can't wait for Torsten to deliver his "RAD with Cocoon"
speech :)

Regards,

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it