cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Hunsberger <peter.hunsber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Dependency between Ajax block and cforms block
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 13:50:04 GMT
On 10/18/05, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:

<snip/>

> Yes! Basically, this is a "retro-factoring" of the JS library to the
> pre-Scriptaculous version.

I've been following your activities WRT to AJAX with some interest.
We've got our own forms and screen management system that we are also
slowly migrating to have AJAX type capabilities.  After playing with
almost every one of the libraries and finding issues with each I'm
starting to wonder if perhaps Cocoon could not once more do this
"right".  In particular, why not exploit the server side capabilities
of Cocoon for generating only the client side scripting that is needed
instead of sending up monolithic client libraries that have tons of
conditional code in them?

This means, in essence, having separate libraries for each different
client (as needed), but if properly layered this doesn't become an
maintenance issue.  Abstractions are built on the client side to
encapsulate the client side specifics, just as the libraries do today.
Things like cForms only see the abstractions and still don't have to
be client specific. In fact, it might still be possible to use one the
 standard effects libraries if we pick the same low level
abstractions...

--
Peter Hunsberger