cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: REQ Fixing really old bugs
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:23:29 GMT
Le 10 oct. 05, à 16:07, hepabolu a écrit :

> ...while looking at Bugzilla I noticed some open bugs entered as far
> back as 2002. Could someone have a look and do _something_ about it?
> It's not a good sign that bugs are open thatlong...

I don't think we'll ever get there, my last count says we have 303 open
bugzilla issues, and my perception is that we have little collective
energy to analyze and prioritize them, we've been chasing this for
months now without significant results.

How about doing a "bug amnesty" as follows?

1) Set ALL Cocoon2 open issues to WONTFIX state, with a comment like
BUG_AMNESTY_2005_10 and a link to a wiki page explaning what's
happening.

This will send a mail to bug reporters, people in CC etc. to give them
a chance to react.

2) In the explanation, ask people who receive these mails to reopen the
issue if they think it is still current, if their patch still does make
sense, etc.
Explain that the goal is to have an up-to-date list of relevant issues.

This would allow collaborative cleanup of the list of issues by the
people who are interested in them. We might miss a few issues if people
don't reply, but they'd be marked with BUG_AMNESTY_2005_10 in the
comments if we need them back, so easy to find.

Without such a scheme, I'm afraid we'll drag this list forever without
being able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

WDYT?

-Bertrand