cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Using Daisy as Wiki
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 18:35:00 GMT
On 28 Oct 2005, at 19:05, Steven Noels wrote:
> On 28 Oct 2005, at 16:26, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>
>>> 5. How will the system perform? How well does it scale? Will it
>>> handle the expected load?
>>>
>> Given that I run a fairly big site on Cocoon, I'm fairly scared
>> about possible links from sites such as Slashdot...
>
> Cough: http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=04/11/22/1342203 :)
>
> Sorry, it's just me getting nervous when Daisy is being compared to
> a Python CGI.

I'm not saying it's impossible... The current VNUNET sites pump out
more than 10 mbps constant now, and we spike to more than 30mbps
kinda twice a week...

BUT, they're not running on the ASF infrastructure (therefore, when
s**t hits the fan, the infra@apache people are the first to run, not
us), and they're not shared by a number of other projects (therefore
when s**t hits the fan, we hurt the wider Apache community).

Each project we individually build on Cocoon has the same technical
merits inherited from the platform, but has a quite different
deployment scenario.

My concerns are simply along the lines of "let's play this game
nicely", not "it's impossible"...

And insofar, no takers on static writing of HTMLs a-la MovableType...

     Pier