cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject Re: [SHRT] Cocoon on Rails Application Component Kernel (CRACK)
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 08:13:48 GMT
Hi,

On 10 Oct 2005, at 06:48, Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>>> IMHO, there is no a correct way to go from the DB table to the
>>> form. More often than we though a DB table cannot be mapped to a
>>> form due the defined interface.
>>
>> What do you mean by "the defined interface"?
>
> Tipical use case: User interface. Said the user table must have 5
> columns. Of them, login and password, between others. The initial
> create user form show all 5 columns. While the change password show
> only 2 of them + the verification password field. This is a typical
> defined interface. Mapping both user forms to different tables in
> this case is not too smart, right? As this sample, we can find a
> lot of similar samples in an db enabled application.

The aim is not to have the perfect form for every use-case, but
rather to get 80% of the forms right, and make it easy to customise
the rest.

So in your use case, we'd initially generate a form with 5 fields,
but the user is then free to modify the model, template, and binding
to add or remove fields.

Andrew.

Tel: +44 (0)870 741 6658  Fax: +44 (0)700 598 1135
Web: http://www.luminas.co.uk/
Orixo alliance: http://www.orixo.com/