cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Stevens" <at...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [RT] seven good reasons to close down users@cocoon.apache.org
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 22:58:57 GMT
>From: Jorg Heymans <jh@domek.be>
>Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 11:06:17 +0200
>
>Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

(snip)

>You are trying to remedy the fact that many developers (not all of them)
>don't look at user@. I say those developers need to change their
>view/attitude towards user@ and realize that replying to a "HELP: No
>pipeline matched blabla !!!" post benefits cocoon as much as (for
>example) fleshing out the next gen container architecture.
>
>Splitting up mailinglists works for other OS projects because either
>1) they have a self sustaining user list with a lot of advanced users
>willing to help out eg Spring forums
>2) the developers *actively* help out on every post eg maven-users
>
>A rough count shows that of the 200 threads in september, about 35 were
>1-post threads ie remained unanswered.

If you want to reduce that count, I am still interested in hints on
- why I'm getting "Attempted to release a $Proxy20 but its handler could not
be located." messages in my logs. [1]
- why the ComponentManager appears to be null in my transformers'
(SitemapComponentTestCase subclass) unit tests but not my actions'. [2]

In my experience, it doesn't matter which list I ask for help on, it still
gets ignored.  Or maybe it's just me.
Perhaps I should suggest dropping support for JDK 1.4, or migrating the
entire architecture to be picocontainer-based instead of OSGi on the grounds
that more people have heard of it.  Judging by recent traffic, that ought to
send my mailbox over quota in next to no time :-)

Andrew.

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=112170400821522&w=2
[2] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-users&m=112601358928679&w=2