cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Using Daisy as Wiki
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 15:10:52 GMT
On 28 Oct 2005, at 16:03, Upayavira wrote:
> Mark Lundquist wrote:
>> On Oct 28, 2005, at 7:26 AM, Pier Fumagalli wrote:
>>
>>> And maybe a shared Solaris 10 box is not the place where I would
>>> like
>>> to see massive hits coming through...
>>
>> What do the stats show about the current Wiki, i.e. how high a bar
>> would
>> the Daisy server have to clear (for today + future), and could we run
>> enough of a load test on Daisy to get an idea?  JMeter?
>
> Extremely high. I wouldn't go near it myself.
>
> It took about a month after upgrading to the latest MoinMoin to get it
> sufficiently stable to not bring down the whole www.apache.org server.
> We had to block crawlers for some time, and eventually fixed it by
> placing a new version of mod_cache in front of the Python based
> MoinMoin
> wiki for all anonymous requests.
>
> I'm afraid I don't have any figures, but can say that Cocoon's wiki is
> amongst the top three Apache wikis in terms of size.

Exactly my thoughts... The only way in which I could see Daisy fit to
handle that load, if it were to publish the pages entered as static
files, then served off by Apache itself, without involving Cocoon
(the same technique used by MovableType, for example).

Without that in place, I'd be -1 on hosting anything live of Cocoon
on the ASF infrastructure, even with massive caching, because of the
maintenance task we'd put on the infrastructure team, and the
possible impact this would have on projects other than Cocoon itself
(it's a shared infrastructure, we have to play it nice).

     Pier