cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Torsten Curdt <tcu...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Cocoon Fat Test
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 21:56:19 GMT
> With a serious diet and an improved build system, cocoon could lose
> half of its weight and generate webapps that are much more friendly
> for smaller sites or for inclusion in places where size is an issue.
>
> But even when size is not an issue, having smaller webapps helps in
> making users perceive what core functionality the cocoon framework
> gives them and what is add-on, something that we were never very
> good at marketing.

...one of the things I gonna tell the people on my talk (aside):
strip down the baby - otherwise it's a pain. It would be
more than nice if the build system would take care of that.
Maybe even http://proguard.sourceforge.net can help with it
...but in theory our build system should be smart enough
to take care of this.

AND ...I am way in favor of shipping with a minimal installation
instead of a "cocoon-can-everything-lets-show-it" configuration.
We passed that size. TBH I think the complexity more scares people
away than it helps.
Let's get them a clean and simple ...minimal sitemap to start
with and then improve the documentation "you need this? - add that"

My 2 cents
--
Torsten