cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Rules for adding blocks and functionality?
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 06:01:54 GMT
Le 24 oct. 05, à 06:50, Niclas Hedhman a écrit :

> ....I would like to propose;
>
>  1. Make Apache Cocoon 3.0 into the slim down, no frills, no blocks, no
>     nothing, thing that has been discussed recently...

Agreed, and even start this with 2.2, IIUC as soon as mavenizaion is
finished, blocks can start living their own life.

>  2. Create subprojects in Apache Cocoon for heavily used blocks, which
> "every"
>     user can't live without. Since blocks are bundles, something like
> the
>     Oscar Bundle Repository would make it a piece of cake for users to
> install
>     them...

Even without OSGI, moving (physically or otherwise) all blocks which do
not have strong community support to a "contrib" directory as suggested
before would help a lot already. People who rely on those blocks will
then have to find a way to have them supported, but it would allow us
to focus on a primary mission of delivering a consistent, tested and
well-documented core.

>  3. Create a user friendly "block exchange" elsewhere (cocoon-dev),
> where
>     developers can publish and categorize their creations even if they
> are
>     not Cocoon committers. A kind of "Wiki brought to Coding", which I
> find
>     useful.
>     The 'deprecated' stuff is moved here, for the sake of
> availability, and
>     allowance to fix bugs et cetera. Rhymes well with Daniel's
> assertion that
>     it becomes the user's reponsibility to maintain. As well as,
> "Don't kill
>     old stuff." and "Respect the past" expressed by others...

Sounds good, and as a first step this could be our own contrib
directory.

-Bertrand