cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Rules for adding blocks and functionality?
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 20:27:05 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>
>> Daniel Fagerstrom wrote:
>>
>>> We are chosen as committers as induviduals and not as representants
>>> for our companies. From a community stand point I would say that it
>>> is time to deprecate the SQLTransformer. As a representative for my
>>> company I would rather say: no way, we have tons of code that depend
>>> on it. It is a complicated question, but I don't think that the
>>> answer is: I need it at my work so the rest of you should support it.
>>
>> It is really hard to tell what is still useful and what not. Now, the
>> simple example of the SQLTransformer shows this: most of us seem to
>> agree that it's some legacy component and that flow etc. should be used
>> instead.
>> Now, think of a reporting tool done with Cocoon. This fetches some
>> hundreds of MB out of the database and just displays them. In this case
>> everything other than the SQLTransformer + Stylesheet is simply overkill
>>  (ok, XSP+ESQL is fine as well) and too memory/time consuming.
>
> Agree. The really ugly part of SQLTransformer is its ability to
> perform insert/updates.
>
> I'm using ESQL in a number of places for publication purposes, and
> many people agree that ESQL is what keeps XSP alive. We have to build
> an equivalent for CTemplates.

As you might remeber the CTemplate framework was designed with that in
mind. It is rather simple to add a set of external instructions to
CTemplate.  But we had a long and not especially nice discussion about
such thing a while ago, and the conclusion was that the community didn't
want such things.

Now, I find it rather strange to keep the SQLTransformer and ESQL
because some people find them being the best way to do simple reporting
at the same time as the community strongly oppose building a modern
replacement of them in CTemplate, because they represent bad practice.

Anyway, for the time beeing I think it is better to focus on making it
as easy as possible to use SQL from flowscripts and present the result
sets in CTemplate. Then if we don't get it easy enough we can start to
think about doing part of ESQL in CTemplate.

/Daniel