cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: [RT] Rules for adding blocks and functionality?
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 19:58:16 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> Sounds good, and as a first step this could be our own contrib directory.
>
>No it wouldn't, because we wouldn't agree what should go there.

I think we could agree about some of the existing blocks, but never
mind. But we are not forced to continue to have sloopy rules for how to
adding functionality, a contrib directory could be useful for new blocks
that not have any community support yet or that are outside our main scope.

>My
>suggestion is to, as you did with the samples, leave all blocks as they
>are, and start _hightlighting_ the ones we consider to be best
>practices. Then, after some extended period if time we may decide to
>purge the ones that have not received any highlighting, but highlighting
>core blocks works much better than deprecating old blocks that people
>may be using.
>
>(And by way of recommendation of this approach :-) this is the approach
>that Buddhists throughout the centuries used to deal with teachings that
>had grown stale. They didn't say "that is a bad teaching", they said,
>"hey, we've got a higher teaching".)
>
>So, basically, until we've got blocks functioning, and have had them so
>for _some_ time, we should do nothing more than highlighting and marking
>up with meta-data for our blocks. Our blocks system and block repository
>is going to create a new organism (which, yes, could well want a contrib
>group elsewhere such as Niclas suggested), but I want to allow for that
>organism to grow, well, organically :-)

Sound good. The important point IMO is that we start to be explicit
about our priorities in some way. And highlighting might be easier to do
than removing.

/Daniel