cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reverting the property search order in CoreUtils
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 17:08:25 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Cool, even if it would be good to extend lookup in web.xml to any
>> servlet and/or context parameter (some admins will want to configure
>> everything using their J2EE deployment tools).
>>
> This can be done easily. The SettingsHelper class could be simply
> extended to set all servlet/context parameters in the settings
> properties as well.

Oh yes, sure!

Something I'm worried a bit about though, is the naming of these
parameters in web.xml if we want to keep compatibility with the existing
parameter names. The new property stuff uses fully-qualified names,
which is very good, whereas the servlet parameters have no prefix.

Or maybe when we search for a given property, we should have a
double-lookup in web.xml:
- lookup the property as is (allows for fully qualified names in web.xml)
- if the property name starts with "org.apache.cocoon", lookup the
property with this prefix stripped.

That way, we use fully qualified names everywhere in the code, and
property files, but still ensure backwards compatibility with the
current web.xml.

WDYT?

Sylvain