cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Reverting the property search order in CoreUtils
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 08:43:02 GMT
Hi all,

Trying to set the hslqdb server port using the property lookup system in
trunk, I found that the lookup order actually makes it not much useful.

 From what I understand, the properties files are read in the following
order:
- WEB-INF/properties/*
- WEB-INF/properties/{run-mode}/*
- custom property providers (where are they defined?)
- work directory and logkit config from web.xml
- an optional user-specific property file, either pointed to by the
"org.apache.cocoon.setting" property, or the
"~/.cocoon/settings.properties" file
- system properties.

Cool, even if it would be good to extend lookup in web.xml to any
servlet and/or context parameter (some admins will want to configure
everything using their J2EE deployment tools).

Now the problem comes from the property search order, which follows the
exact same path, meaning the most generic properties (in
WEB-INF/properties) hide any overriding in specific properties (user
settings, system properties).

I reverted the property lookup order, and this now works just fine :-)

Sylvain