cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Making the buzz
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:58:23 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> As you certainly know, Ajax and RAD/scripted frameworks are hot lately.
>>
>> I'm closely following http://www.ajaxian.com/, a blog about all
>> things Ajax. Recently they started talking about continuations [1]
>> and [2], even mentioning our Rhino fork, but without mentioning Cocoon.
>>
>> I think that, along with pinging the Ajaxian guys (which I will do),
>> we should rewrite our home page to make more apparent Cocoon's unique
>> abilities in the changing world of webapp development.
>>
>> A distinguishing feature IMO is that the Cocoon platform sits
>> inbetween hardcore J2EE and scripted frameworks:
>> - it is based on Java and thus has access to everything that's
>> available in Java (huge amount of libraries, "enterprise-class"
>> systems such as workflow engines, transaction manager, etc)
>> - it is highly scripted, allowing rapid application prototyping and
>> development,
>> - our script language (contrarily to RoR) is JavaScript, which is
>> widespread and gaining a lot of interest because of Ajax,
>> - it doesn't lock development in scripting: prototype quickly with
>> JS, then, if needed, translate to faster but more verbose Java.
>>
>> Add a few cool Ajax demos to the mix and this makes Cocoon a sexy and
>> modern development platform.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> +1
>
> but keep the silly "web 2.0" buzz low. The world will get sick of ajax
> as soon as everybody understands that it's refreshing but really
> nothing new.

Nothing new for sure, but a well hidden secret that very few people
used. We can make its use much easier. Also, as I understand it, web 2.0
is more about social network applications (that for sure make use of
Ajax to improve usability) rather than tools used and how these tools
help developers.

> Cocoon uses technologies because they are useful, not because they are
> 'cool'... the danger of overhyping is that you go up very fast with
> the hype and you go down as fast.

Agree. Now if you look at my arguments, they are meant to satisfy both
the developer that is sick of save/compile/deploy/restart and the
manager that wants the J2EE stamp on its IT system. This reflects what
Cocoon really is today and how it answers the quest for more simplicity.

Sylvain