cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] Making the buzz
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 15:37:10 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As you certainly know, Ajax and RAD/scripted frameworks are hot lately.
>
> I'm closely following http://www.ajaxian.com/, a blog about all things
> Ajax. Recently they started talking about continuations [1] and [2],
> even mentioning our Rhino fork, but without mentioning Cocoon.
>
> I think that, along with pinging the Ajaxian guys (which I will do), we
> should rewrite our home page to make more apparent Cocoon's unique
> abilities in the changing world of webapp development.
>
> A distinguishing feature IMO is that the Cocoon platform sits inbetween
> hardcore J2EE and scripted frameworks:
> - it is based on Java and thus has access to everything that's available
> in Java (huge amount of libraries, "enterprise-class" systems such as
> workflow engines, transaction manager, etc)
> - it is highly scripted, allowing rapid application prototyping and
> development,
> - our script language (contrarily to RoR) is JavaScript, which is
> widespread and gaining a lot of interest because of Ajax,
> - it doesn't lock development in scripting: prototype quickly with JS,
> then, if needed, translate to faster but more verbose Java.
>
> Add a few cool Ajax demos to the mix and this makes Cocoon a sexy and
> modern development platform.
>
> WDYT?

+1

but keep the silly "web 2.0" buzz low. The world will get sick of ajax
as soon as everybody understands that it's refreshing but really nothing
new. Cocoon uses technologies because they are useful, not because they
are 'cool'... the danger of overhyping is that you go up very fast with
the hype and you go down as fast.

--
Stefano.