cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject [RT] Making the buzz
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 08:33:32 GMT
Hi all,

As you certainly know, Ajax and RAD/scripted frameworks are hot lately.

I'm closely following http://www.ajaxian.com/, a blog about all things
Ajax. Recently they started talking about continuations [1] and [2],
even mentioning our Rhino fork, but without mentioning Cocoon.

I think that, along with pinging the Ajaxian guys (which I will do), we
should rewrite our home page to make more apparent Cocoon's unique
abilities in the changing world of webapp development.

A distinguishing feature IMO is that the Cocoon platform sits inbetween
hardcore J2EE and scripted frameworks:
- it is based on Java and thus has access to everything that's available
in Java (huge amount of libraries, "enterprise-class" systems such as
workflow engines, transaction manager, etc)
- it is highly scripted, allowing rapid application prototyping and
development,
- our script language (contrarily to RoR) is JavaScript, which is
widespread and gaining a lot of interest because of Ajax,
- it doesn't lock development in scripting: prototype quickly with JS,
then, if needed, translate to faster but more verbose Java.

Add a few cool Ajax demos to the mix and this makes Cocoon a sexy and
modern development platform.

WDYT?

Sylvain

[1] http://www.ajaxian.com/archives/2005/10/audible_ajax_ep_2.html