cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [M10N] separating samples from blocks
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 11:40:53 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 23.10.2005 13:10, Jorg Heymans wrote:
>
>>> So the layout is:
>>>
>>> /src/blocks/cforms/pom.xml
>>> /src/blocks/cforms-samples/pom.xml
>>

>> note that the blocks directory will have about 120 subdirs in total
>> then, easy to get lost in. That's why i thought a blocks-samples
>> directory would make sense, doesn't have to however.
>

> Please don't put the difference between block itself and block samples
> so far up into the hierarchy. This will make navigating from one to the
> other directory more "complicated" - at least it needs much more key
> strokes. That's why I like Ralph's proposal much more.
>
> The block vs. block-samples structure is even worse IMO. As you said it
> is easy to get lost.

Sorry, I'm afraid I don't understand what you are saying!

Are you saying you don't like having "all blocks created equal" and want
different directories for each block?

Thing is, we've been through that discussion before. Do we separate out
samples from main blocks, stable from unstable, supported from
deprecated? What separations do we do?

In the end, we will need to help users with higher level tools that
organise an increasing number of blocks in a flat hierarchy. Even if we
separate our samples and blocks, we'll soon enough end up with 120
blocks in one directory anyway - especially when creating blocks has
become much easier.

Regards, Upayavira