cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Upayavira ...@odoko.co.uk>
Subject Re: [M10N] separating samples from blocks
Date Sun, 23 Oct 2005 07:09:33 GMT
Jorg Heymans wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How do people feel about moving sample content and source from a block
> out of the block directory into its own location ?
>
> eg something like
>
> /src
>    /blocks
>           /cforms
>                pom.xml
>    /blocks-samples
>           /cforms
>                pom.xml
>
> In maven speak, the cforms-samples block would just inherit from the
> cforms block so the build and deployment link between the two blocks is
> not lost.
>
> Alternatively we could do
> /src
>    /blocks
>           /cforms
>               pom.xml
>               /samples
>                   /src
>                      /java
>                   pom.xml
>
> so that at least the sample java sources are separated from the actual
> block sources. At the moment these are kept together.
>
> Note that maven can handle the current directory structure just fine by
> using build profiles, but this is less transparent IMO.
>
> I'm aware that this change impacts the branch build system for shared
> blocks, no idea though how much effort would be involved.
>

> Thoughts?
> Jorg

Please do it. A sample is a separate block with a dependency. A sample
may contain Java code, just as a block itself. The only difference
really is that the block.xml or pom.xml or something needs to have the
designation "sample" so we can say "install Cocoon with all samples.
please".

So the layout is:

/src/blocks/cforms/pom.xml
/src/blocks/cforms-samples/pom.xml