cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [docs] test publish from daisy
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:44:00 GMT
David Crossley wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:
>
>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>
>>>Is there a way to have non-numerical URL in daisy?
>>
>>Yes, and no.
>>
>>Daisy completely separates the front-end application (the daisy-wiki)
>>from the back-end repository.
>>
>>In the repository it is only possible to have numerical document IDs.
>>However, in the daisy-wiki it is possible to create non-numerical Id's
>>for pages. In fact, it is possible for a single page in the repository
>>to have multiple non-numerical ids. These are defined in the navigation
>>documents.
>>
>>So, to reproduce a non-numerical URL space you must retrieve the content
>>via the daisy-wiki or you must use the navigation document to lookup the
>>non-numerical ID (knowing which one to use can be a problem, depending
>>on how the Daisy docs are set up).
>>
>>Using Forrest, the answer would be to create a Locationmap from the
>>navigation document, thus mapping non-numeric client URLs to repository
>>numeric ids (which is essentially what the daisy-wiki does).
>

> The issue is not only mapping the numeric Daisy ID to
> the actual filename. We also need to maintain the old
> URL-space at cocoon.apache.org/2.1/

That part is easy, the Forrest locationmap will deal with that very
easily. I'll fix that now.

> I think that Bruno created a logfile when importing
> the original svn repository, which would provide that
> mapping. Does someone know where that is?

Pass (I should know someone told me, but I can't remember now).

> So Ross, are you suggesting to programmatically create
> that locationmap.xml as a once-off task, e.g. Perl
> to read that logfile and create the locationmap.

Almost, although I would prefer to see it happen dynamically within the
Forrest plugin using XSL. This way, if anyone moves anything in Daisy
Forrest will follow.

The Daisy navigation document [1] is used by the daisy wiki to map
between path names and document ID's. We can use this same document to
generate the locationmap dynamically.

[1]
http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/documentation/660/version/56/part/1/data?branch=main&language=default

> We also need to create the navigation index
> for the left-hand side panel.

This is already created from the navigation document above. Therefore,
it will just be a change to use the labels in the nav document rather
than the document ids.

> It would have a lot easier to do this documentation
> movement for the 2.2 release.

If we do it using XSL then we get it for both :-) The question is whther
we have the time to do it for 2.1.8

Ross