cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject Future publishing of docs (was Re: [Vote] Packaging of docs)
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 09:37:36 GMT
hepabolu wrote:
> Ross Gardler wrote:

>> For __future__ releases, we will have a third option:
>> c)  include the forrest block and cocoon docs configuration files
>

> -1 for this, although it should be moved to another thread.
>
> I don't think it's a good idea to give "all" users access to the staging
> server.  If that was possible we could have simple decided that the
> current Daisy configuration in the zones is are new, latest and greatest
> documentation source where everyone should go and look for the most
> recent, most uptodate documentation.

I did not explain myself very clearly.

Daisy has two stages of publishing, draft and published. Anyone
nominated as a doc-author can edit documents, but there edits are put
into a draft document. Only doc-editors can publish the documents.

There is also a third mechanism for version control in 1.3 (which we now
use). That is branches. We could create branches for the released
version of Cocoon and another for the development version.

Access to each of these types of document is controlled by the ACL
within Daisy. Therefore the "documentation block" will retrieve only the
the types of documents that people have access to see, for example:

users - published docs from a released version
user/editors - draft docs from a released version
devs  - published docs from the dev version
dev/editors - draft docs from the dev version

etc.

In this way people only see what either we want them to see, or they
choose to see. This is akin to users only having access to the bundled
docs in a release, but devs having access to the development docs in SVN.

Ross