cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Startable components
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 07:32:58 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Bart Molenkamp wrote:
<snip/>
>>> 2. To configure a component, knowledge about it is required anyways.
>>> Looking at the configuration of CForms for example, there is quite some
>>> configuration, but not much for a regular user to change (all those
>>> builders etc - which I think is great that it is configurable). For
>>> regular Cocoon users, I think the default configuration that comes with
>>> a Cocoon build is sufficient in many, many cases (again, I don't think
>>> users write configuration files from scratch).
>
> I found this phrase appropriate to this discussion ...
>
>    ... is a full-stack, open-source web framework ... for writing
>    real-world applications with joy and less code than most
>    frameworks spend doing XML sit-ups ...

And for those who don't know where this comes from:
http://www.rubyonrails.org/ :-)

And BTW we should really rewrite our home page some clearer and more
catchy words!

> So instead of doing XML sit-ups :-) let's use sensible built-in
> defaults, as Sylvain suggests:
>
>> Most components have sensible builtin defaults, meaning they often
>> can work without specific configuration. This is different from
>> Spring where you have to describe everything. Cultural difference
>> that explains both why Avalon is intrusive and why Cocoon components
>> should "just work" except when you want to give them some specific
>> instructions through their configuration.

Ah, and "it just works" comes from
http://www.apple.com/switch/reasons/reason01.html :-D

And when it doesn't, it should explain why ==> located exceptions!

Sylvain