cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <va...@reverycodes.com>
Subject Re: Startable components
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 00:27:34 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Bart Molenkamp wrote:

<snip/>

>> Knowing the configuration settings of a component
>> can also require (deep) knowledge about the implementation. And,
>> configuration writers don't need to write the configuration from
>> scratch, the already configured defaults are sufficient.

<snip/>

>> 2. To configure a component, knowledge about it is required anyways.
>> Looking at the configuration of CForms for example, there is quite some
>> configuration, but not much for a regular user to change (all those
>> builders etc - which I think is great that it is configurable). For
>> regular Cocoon users, I think the default configuration that comes with
>> a Cocoon build is sufficient in many, many cases (again, I don't think
>> users write configuration files from scratch).

I found this phrase appropriate to this discussion ...

    ... is a full-stack, open-source web framework ... for writing
    real-world applications with joy and less code than most
    frameworks spend doing XML sit-ups ...

So instead of doing XML sit-ups :-) let's use sensible built-in defaults, as
Sylvain suggests:

> Most components have sensible builtin defaults, meaning they often can
> work without specific configuration. This is different from Spring where
> you have to describe everything. Cultural difference that explains both
> why Avalon is intrusive and why Cocoon components should "just work"
> except when you want to give them some specific instructions through
> their configuration.

Vadim