cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From hepabolu <hepab...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [SHRT] Cocoon on Rails Application Component Kernel (CRACK)
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 08:25:01 GMT
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

> IMHO, for normal fields, yes. Calculated fields are more often
> transient. So, the default for them should be to not store them in the
> database.

Reasonable, but some calculated fields need to be stored, e.g. for
auditing reasons and to be used as a data item in itself.
An example: the calculation of BMI (body mass index = length^2/weight)
is an excellent example of enhancing user experience, but storing it is
necessary because it's often used in making decisions (-> audit trail)
and because it can be used in charts (-> data item).

>                                                                - 0 -
>
> I know this is not the normal pattern we see in a bunch of application
> that try to autogenerate code. And they often fail, because they are not
> able to build a little bit more complex forms as a simple invoce. Since
> day 1, my cocoon involvement is more related to web-enable DB
> applications. I know cocoon is often also percieved as a publishing
> framework. A lot of people use cocoon mostly to build CMS or websites.
> Michael Wechner told me last year he think in cocoon are main two groups
> (publishers [CMS-ers] and DB webapp-ers) and that this two groups
> inevitable push in different ways. My cocoon experience involves already
> an account system, a payroll system between others. They normally
> involve more than 50 tables..... Maybe this is the case Michael pointed
> out and we have different needs of what a better Db support should be.
> While you some people is happy with few simple tables to finish the
> application, for others it is just the beginning.

So true. I suppose I'm in the DB-webapp "camp".

Bye, Helma