cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Antonio Gallardo <agalla...@agssa.net>
Subject Re: Cocoon Setup.exe for Windows
Date Fri, 14 Oct 2005 00:02:21 GMT
Sure. The idea is good. I will prefer to use a Java Installer, for
example: IzPack [1]. izPack is released under ASL 2.0.
In Druid we use this installer for years. I think aslso Jedit use it.
BTW, the main features are:

    * XML-based installer descriptors
    * Uses the maximum Jar archives compression level
    * Jakarta Ant integration
    * Great flexibility and modularity, it is very easy to extend IzPack
    * No native code is required, but you can extend IzPack with native code
    * Shortcuts creation system
    * Flexible and powerful user input panel
    * Automatic uninstaller creation
    * Easy localization with XML langpacks: 16 langpacks are provided by
      default
    * Variable substitution system
    * OS-specific scripts interaction

In short 1 installer for all the platforms. Maybe we can also build a
simple GUI for block selection for deployment and so on. ;-)

WDYT? ;-)

Best Regards,

Antonio Gallardo.

[1] http://www.izforge.com/izpack/