cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Hugo Burm <hu...@xs4all.nl>
Subject Cocoon Setup.exe for Windows
Date Thu, 13 Oct 2005 21:38:18 GMT
I had some fun with the NSIS installer for Windows
(http://nsis.sourceforge.net/) and created a Setup.exe for Cocoon that
should run fine both on a completely fresh "out of the box" MS Windows
system, as on a system with Java, Tomcat et al. already installed.

- The Setup.exe  (73 Mb) for Windows is built upon the following components:
a) Sun JRE 1.5.04 with the javac.exe and server version of the java.exe
added to it. According to the Sun license you are allowed to do this and
distribute this as long as you add some value to it (your own software)
and you do not replace Sun components.
b) Tomcat  5.5.9
c) Full build of Cocoon 2.1.7

- The installation process starts Tomcat and tries to open an URL giving
you access to the Cocoon samples. I tested this on three systems. Two
out of three worked OK. The third one probably had no decent browser
installed.

- On my system (Athlon 2000) it takes a few seconds to download the
Setup.exe from a network drive. It takes 70 seconds to unpack and
install the package. It takes 25 seconds to start Tomcat and access the
Cocoon samples. Cocoon up and running in 100 seconds!

- Off course, downloading 73 Mb will take some time if you have a modem.
But the simplicity of the Setup may appeal to users: just clicking on
Setup.exe and pressing "next, next, next" (anyone ever tried to read
these messages before pressing "next" :-) )

You can find the Setup.exe at:
http://www.datagram.nl/Setup-Cocoon.exe (73 Mb !!)

If you want to know how it works: the NSIS skeleton:
http://www.datagram.nl/Setup-Cocoon-Source.zip (12 kB, skeleton, actual
content removed)

I am interested in:
- If there is some demand for something like this
- Whether this actually worked for anyone
- Fine tuning the final step: starting Tomcat and firing up the HTML
start page.
- Legal issues. I have read the Sun license and tried to be nice to Sun
as much as possible. Especially, I tried to indemnify Sun's software
from the (L)GPL virus. But if you think something is not legal, Let me
know. I am aware of the fact that the ASF will not allow something like
this on their servers before these issues are cleared.

Hugo Burm